Monday, May 2, 2011

9 years, 7 months, and 20 days

September 11, 2001
I was in my 2nd month of my freshman year of college. I was a young sheltered 17 year old who had no thoughts about the military or war. I was sitting at my computer playing Snood with VH1 on the tv (when VH1 played actual music). My mom called me on my Nokia brick. She was in her car on the way to work. Something was going on and she wanted me to find out what. I turned the channel just in time to see the plane hit the second tower. I dropped my phone. The huge battery popped off and slid underneath my roommate's bed. By the time I composed myself and found the battery, my mother had called me 8 times. "Mom, a plane hit a building. A second plane hit a second building. What's going on?" My roommate came home from class. Asked me what on Earth I was watching, Independence Day? If you remember back in 2001, we didn't all have smart phones and constant media 24/7. We called everyone that mattered. We had professors in New York City that canceled classes until they could get home. Life as we knew it had changed.



May 1, 2011
After a delicious dinner my husband made, I was sitting on the couch next to Joe and Rigel when someone on Twitter said that the president would be making a speech. After some speculation and some joking (Joe hoped it was alien contact) we found out that Osama bin Laden was dead. I am 27 years old. A military spouse. An Army wife who stood by her Soldier husband during a 12-month long deployment. My whole world is the Military and war. I was fortunate enough to be able to reach over and grab Joe's arm. We instantly thought about our friends in Afghanistan right now.

9 years, 7 months, 20 days.

This is MilitaryMonday. May is also Military Appreciation Month. Thank a Service Member today.


1 comment:

Nicole said...

Beautiful post! Well said!