Saturday, November 28, 2009

5 Days

I have 5 days of work left! This is a freaking fabulous thing! Don't get me wrong, I will miss my friends a bunch, but the rest of the nuts there, well, best to leave them in Kansas.

Did y'all know I'm a para at an elementary school? We aren't teachers, but we sure do make a difference! I've had many teachers tell me that paras set the tone for a school and truly help the teachers. And when we're used to the best of our ability, and they don't hire stupid people or are working under a retarded administration, we can run a school!

My job was amazing last year. My heart was in it. I felt like I was making a difference in someone's life. The teachers were lovely and my bosses were in it to win it. This year is just not the same. New boss. New teachers. New paras. It's just different. And my heart isn't in it. I have a little girl that I will miss so much! I worry that she will wonder where I've gone and her progress will suffer. But I'm also sad that she will eventually stop asking for me. I will wonder about this little girl for years. But I'll never see her again. She will soon forget about Mrs. Sutliff. But I will think about her when she's in middle school and high school.

Is this what Army wife life is like? We make pit stops every few years, try to touch a heart or make a difference in someone's life, and then pick up and leave?

My fellow Army wife friends talk to me about emailing and calling, visiting and vacationing, while the "civilians" are just mad at me. Literally! "Why do you have to leave? Cant you just stay here?" This is what we do. We are Army wives. We are nomads.


2 comments:

TheAlbrechtSquad said...

At all of our AFTB dinners we had with our instructors we always started with a toast.

"To all of our Soldiers and to those who choose to love them".

It's not an easy life, but it is a fulfilling life.

For every thing there is a season...trust in yourself to make a difference and you will, it will come back to you threefold.

liberal army wife said...

The foreign service brats (I'm proud to be one) call themselves gypsies. We just go from place to place, and feel pretty much at home pretty quickly. We nest fast! As a milspouse, I find the same thing, get those few things in the apartment that mean "home" and poof, there ya go, home. As for the "can't you stay, why not just stay here..." we get enough separations during deployment, so no, sorry I'm going to let the house loose and spend some time with the guy.