Monday, March 8, 2010

Pre-deployment... Denial?

Joe and I have been going through the motions of a deployment pretty well. We're spending time together. Sleeping in. Fixing dinner together. Staying at home curled on the couch watching movies. Buying some last minute things he will need. Trying to think of everything we are forgetting. Watching the tiny orange countdown click down far too fast.

And yet... It doesnt seem real yet. It's that strange? I'm trying to convence myself this is actually happening so that it wont all hit me all at once. But as hard as I try, it still doesnt seem real. I cant convence myself that Joe will walk out of this house and onto a plane.... in just a matter of days. What's wrong with me? I know I dont want it to be true. But Joe is doing a good job of dragging his feet too. We were standing in front of the junk food aisle at the store yesterday. I told him to pick out all of the stuff he wanted me to pack for him in his care packages. It turned into this huge joke. As we walked out of that aisle, Joe mumbled that he knew he had to start packing and getting ready to leave, he just wasnt ready yet.

Well I'm not ready either. But I have to be VERY SOON!!

10 comments:

Expat Girl said...

It is when the packing starts that it becomes very real. You will be and can be stronger than you can imagine.

Jessica said...

It didn't seem real to me until my husband started packing. Now that he is (mostly) packed, I know it's just a matter of time before he gets on the plane. I'm trying to be strong, and I'm doing a good job of it so far. I'm worried about when I go to drop him off, and the two weeks after that before I move back home. We will support each other!!

Mary said...

Yea, I've always felt like that before deployments too. I agree, when they start packing is the worst. Good luck getting through it! It always helped me knowing that once he left the hardest part was over and I could start counting down to the homecomings.

Unknown said...

I'm 47 days into the deployment and it still doesn't feel real. Even with him gone.

Sara said...

LMAO! Michelle, you made me laugh!

I guess it's just a hurry up and wait kind of a thing. Not looking forward to the packing. All of Joe's stuff is piled in the guest room.

Thanks ladies!! I really appriciate the support and advice. I love to hear about your own personal experiences. Keep them coming!

Kayla said...

I'm approx a week from deployment and I feel ya. BF hasn't packed yet so I'm sure that will hit me like everyone says. Not looking fwd to it, but I know its the worst part right? :)

My Army Life said...

Denial is a beautiful place to be! Enjoy it while it lasts!!

Amy said...

We're still a few weeks away from actual deployment but he's been gone for 3 weeks for training, so it's hit both of us pretty hard. Normally 3-4 weeks is nothing to us but this time it's definitely been harder knowing the time is so near.

Paula said...

I agree that denial is a beautiful place to be. It will hit you soon enough and it will completely suck.
Pre-deployment is so hard. I wanted him to just go already so I could start counting down. I do remember hugging him lots and just hanging on. I wanted to remember what it felt like to feel him and smell him.

Rachel said...

I feel exactally like you do. Still. Even with him mostly packed it's still the same routine, but the nights when we are done bustling around all day is when it's starting to hit me now. I hope all is well in your house and give your furry baby kisses!! :) lol i love yorkies!!